|O-luan Pi Lighthouse is at the southern tip of Taiwan.|
In the mid 19th century, after Qing Court was forced to open some ports in Taiwan, western ships often sunk due to hidden rocks, especially the American cargo ship Rover in 1867 and a ship going to Japan in 1871. Under the pressure from the U.S., England, and Japan, Qing built the O-luan Pi Lighthouse in 1883. It was the only armed lighthouse at that time.
After the first Sino-Japanese War in 1895, Taiwan was ceded to Japan. Qing army left Taiwan with the lighthouse destroyed. The lighthouse was rebuilt in 1898. During the WWII, U.S. army destroyed it because of its special location. It was again rebuilt after Taiwan's restoration.
It is 21.4 meter high, equipped 1.8 million candle power light, has a sight of 20 knots. The lighthouse is known as the "light of the east Asia".
O-luan Pi Lighthouse appears on the following banknote(s):