|The Monte da Guia is the highest hill in Macau which is more than 90 meters high above sea level. It is also known for Pine Tree Hill because of its over hill and dale pine trees. The Castle was built approximately in 1637, on the pinnacle of which there are a church and a light-house built in 1865. It is the oldest light-house in the history of the Far East which was built by a local born Portuguese. Its light spreads over sea. In the beginning the kerosene lamp was used, later on with the advance of science, the electric lamp took its place. Up to now it still illuminates the four directions of Macau all night long to lead directions for navigation.|
On the side of the entrance of the light-house, there is a stone sculpture which recorded the history of the Castle: During the years when the Governor of Macau took the responsibility of building it. The small church on the viewing ocean terrace at hill top is called the "Virign Mary Monastery". This is the oldest church on the Monte da Cuia which was built in 1626. The image worshipped inside is the God of navigation protector. The image worshipped inside is the God of navigation protector. The architectural structure inside the hall has the characteristics of the Portuguese monstrous of 17th century with arch ceiling.
On the right side of the Church there is an old bell on which these words were inscribed: "This bell was made by the highest ranking leader of Macau in 1707 for the Virgin Mary Monastery in Monte da Guia" and "was recast in 1824."
Guia Lighthouse appears on the following banknote(s):